ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – St. Petersburg police hope someone will recognize the vehicle seen in newly released surveillance video.
Detectives believe the driver is connected to an attempted armed kidnapping that occurred last Wednesday.
Investigators said the man in the car pulled a gun on a jogger and ordered her to get in the vehicle just before 6 a.m. on Coffee Pot Boulevard.
“This is a pretty good shot of it and originally we reported it might be a Scion, might be a Mazda. Well now we know it’s a Hyundai Veloster,” said Yolanda Fernandez, St. Petersburg Police Department spokeswoman.
The color of the vehicle is burnt orange. Police said the driver was seen circling the area on 5th Avenue NE and Beach Drive eight minutes before he approached the victim, Allie Coad.
She said he rolled down his window to ask for directions.
“We do have several reports of people that morning that called us to tell us they saw that car circling the area, kind of circling around,” said Fernandez.
Coad told detectives she ran for her life.
“There was no option for getting in the car. I wasn’t getting in the car,” she said.
Joggers along the trail remain cautious.
“I typically run here with at least with a group, so that’s why I probably feel safer about that,” said runner Quinn Noordstar.
Police believe someone may have more details about the vehicle.
“We think that there might be more people that noticed a little more, maybe they saw a partial tag number. Even if we can just get a partial number, that would help us to narrow it down,” said Fernandez.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Mother-daughter fight over pot and an ex-boyfriend ends in gunfire
- Teacher dies from flu after delaying treatment due to cost
- VIDEO: St. Pete PD seeks driver of car in area of attempted armed abduction
- Openly gay Florida teacher fired after posting wedding pictures on Facebook
- Deputies: Pasco pastor raped young parishioner, told her she was possessed by demon
- Lakeland mom warning parents after catching man touching himself while watching kids near park