MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A teenager in Myakka City accidentally shot himself while shooting at animals that had been getting into the trash.
The Manatee County Sheriff’s Office responded to the call, which came in around 9 p.m., of an accidental gun discharge at 14930 Albritton Rd.
Paramedics came to the scene and began life-saving measures, but the victim, later identified as 15-year-old Wyatt Austin Ballard, could not be revived and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Investigators say Ballard was with three friends and had gone outside to shoot animals that had been getting into the trash. The shooting scared off his friends who reportedly left the scene when Ballard was shot. Ballard’s parents were in their bedroom when the shooting occurred.
The handgun he was using was recovered at the scene.
An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Missed our Better Call Behnken phone bank? Claim your cash online
- Mom says toddler’s eyebrows waxed at daycare
- Brevard Co. man survives 10+ hours of rape, torture, bleach injuries
- Law enforcement cracking down on kratom
- Family of woman who died in Port Richey casino shuttle boat fire break their silence
- Mother who lost son in Ohio State Fair accident opens up about what happened