MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – As millions of Americans prepare to file their tax returns, the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office warning tax preparers of a new tax scam.
The agency said a Bradenton woman was recently contacted by someone claiming she was being investigated for tax fraud. The caller told her there was a warrant out for her arrest and said it would be lifted if she paid $500 in gift cards, which she did. After realizing she was scammed, the woman contacted the sheriff’s office.
If you receive a suspicious call regarding your taxes, the sheriff’s office suggests you treat it as a scam and notify law enforcement.
To learn more information on scams, call the Manatee County Sheriff’s Office at 941-747-3011.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Missed our Better Call Behnken phone bank? Claim your cash online
- Mom says toddler’s eyebrows waxed at daycare
- Brevard Co. man survives 10+ hours of rape, torture, bleach injuries
- Law enforcement cracking down on kratom
- Family of woman who died in Port Richey casino shuttle boat fire break their silence
- Mother who lost son in Ohio State Fair accident opens up about what happened