LANTANA, Fla. (AP) – A Florida sheriff’s deputy shot a homicide suspect on a major interstate, leaving it closed, following a fatal carjacking and wrong-way chase.
Palm Beach County sheriff’s spokeswoman Teri Barbera told reporters it happened Wednesday on Interstate 95 in Lantana, between West Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. She didn’t know the suspect’s condition but said the deputy was not hurt.
Local media report the suspect had fatally shot a woman, stolen her car and led deputies on a chase. That led to a traffic crash involving multiple cars. WPTV reported that six to eight vehicles were involved in the crash.
The Palm Beach Post reports one of its editors was on Interstate 95 at the time when a car sped south in the northbound lanes.
The second shooting soon followed.
Interstate 95 was closed in both directions in the area following the shooting.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Foster kids kept in cars at Wawa parking lot in Hillsborough County
- Amazon delivery man found wandering through Sarasota man’s home
- Starman’s journey creates online frenzy after SpaceX launch
- Florida county: Pregnant firefighter must do regular duties
- Tampa Bay area #6 on national influenza hot spot list