ELMIRA, N.Y. (18 NEWS) – Harriette Hoyt, the mother who abandoned her 8-month-old baby in a garbage bag outside of a home on Walnut St., in the City of Elmira last August, has been sentenced to serve nine years in prison.
Hoyt agreed to plead guilty to attempted murder in the second degree back in December in order to receive a lesser sentence.
If Hoyt had gone to trial and was found guilty of attempted murder, she could have faced up to 25 years in prison.
Along with her sentence, Hoyt will also serve five years of probation following her release. She also signed an order of protection stating that she not have contact with her child for the next nine years.
The baby, Sabrina, who was found after 72 hours, has been placed with a foster family and is doing well.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Experts: The one flu symptom you shouldn’t ignore
- Texas man executed for killing daughters while mom listened
- ‘A cesspool of funky flu’: Florida ER nurse goes on epic rant about flu season
- SHOCKING VIDEO: Victims’ father tries to attack sports doctor Larry Nassar
- Suspect photos released, $3,000 reward offered in Seminole Hard Rock Casino armed robbery case