4 students hospitalized after drinking washing detergent

PELHAM, Ala. (WIAT) – Four high school students in Alabama were taken to the hospital Thursday after they drank washing detergent mixed with water.

The students attend Pelham High School in the city of Pelham, which is south of Birmingham.

Pelham City Schools Public Information Officer Nicole Knight said the students were taken to the hospital between 11 and 11:30 a.m. Thursday.

The students were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Two were taken by ambulance and two were taken via private vehicle or by their parents.

School officials did not say if the students drank dishwashing detergent or laundry detergent.

WIAT TV asked Knight if this was related to the infamous “Tide Pod Challenge,” but she couldn’t confirm. She was also unsure if the students will be disciplined.

The school is still investigating what happened.

STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s