TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – The upcoming closing of the South Tampa Sam’s Club store attracted a crowd of frenzied shoppers Friday.
Scores of people lined up outside the store before it opened to the public hoping to be among the first to buy items at 25 percent off.
The store is trying to sell all of its merchandise before it closes for good. Everything except tires and tobacco is on sale.
Nick Erdody came to the store Friday morning and walked away disappointed. “I couldn’t get in there. It was like a hundred people said 45 minutes,” Erdody said.
He wanted to go inside Sam’s Club to shop for discounted items, but the hour wait made it impossible.
Debi Martin walked out of the store with a huge big screen TV and a cart full of other items. She was very happy with what she found. “We saved $600 total on our purchase,” said Martin.
Sam’s Club announced on Thursday that it would be closing 63 stores across the U.S. A dozen of stores those will be converted into e-commerce locations to help with online sales. The South Tampa location is scheduled to close on Jan. 26, but a spokesperson for Sam’s Club says no decision has been made yet about the South Tampa property once the store closes.
The spokesperson said they are currently working with approximately 150 employees at the South Tampa location to find jobs for them in the Walmart family of stores.
“That’s the worst part of it. It’s not about me getting a good deal it’s about people making a living,” said Erdody. “I’m going to miss it and the employees, you know I knew everybody by name, it’s Hello Carlotta, Hello Elizabeth and now it’s sad.”
If you have a membership and want a refund, there are three ways to do so: Online, through the member services call center 888-746-7726 or at a nearby club.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- LIST: Sam’s Club to close store in South Tampa, more locations across country
- FHP: Drunk woman hit cars on I-4, urinated on roadside, let boy, 2, wander toward traffic
- Deadly strain of flu hits Florida
- Good Samaritan shocked that hospital patient was discharged in gown, socks on cold winter night
- Bear attacks man outside Naples apartment
- Theme park deals for Floridians at Disney, Universal, Legoland, Busch Gardens
- Woman returns ‘dead’ Christmas tree to Costco in Jan. for full refund