EAST BROOKFIELD, Mass. (AP) — Police say a Massachusetts woman skipped her own mother’s funeral so she could break into the dead woman’s house and steal a safe filled with items worth $90,000.
The Telegram & Gazette reports that 30-year-old Alyce Davenport was held on $15,000 bail after pleading not guilty Monday to seven charges. An alleged accomplice was held without bail on a warrant.
Police say Davenport and her accomplice went to the mother’s home on Friday during the funeral. Police say she did not attend her mother’s funeral and was not answering calls from relatives.
Police were tipped off about the alleged theft by the boyfriend of Davenport’s mother.
Davenport and her accomplice were found at a Sturbridge motel on Saturday.
It could not immediately be determined if Davenport has a lawyer.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- VIDEO: Woman evacuates Palm Harbor home after possible sinkhole forms
- Boy found living in Brevard home with 58 dogs and cats, some were dead
- Manatee Co. men accused in disturbing viral shark video due in court today
- Michigan mother, boyfriend were likely headed to Florida after 4-year-old girl’s murder
- Better Call Behnken: Auto shop keeping woman’s Ford Mustang hostage even though she tries to pay
- Tampa Bay area brides say ‘I do’ to $299 designer wedding dresses
- Woman returns ‘dead’ Christmas tree to Costco in Jan. for full refund