LEE COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Authorities in Lee County say DNA led to the arrest of a man suspected of raping a child more than 20 years ago.
Paul Shannon Jacob, 46, was arrested at his Fort Myers home on Wednesday.
Detectives say on Dec. 9, 1995, deputies received a call from the victim reporting a sexual battery that occurred on a dirt road extension in the area of Veronica Shoemaker Boulevard.
The victim described the suspect as a black male driving a red vehicle. The victim said the suspect offered to drive the victim to get something to eat at a local restaurant.
Instead, the suspect drove the victim to a wooded area and sexually battered her in the vehicle, after which the suspect drove to a nearby apartment complex where the suspect allowed the victim to leave the vehicle.
Jacob was identified as a result of a DNA match, after analysis by the National Institute of Justice Project.
Jacob was charged with sexual battery on a minor and is being held in the Lee County Jail without.
“We’ve come a long way with DNA analysis since 1995,” said Lee County Undersheriff Marcelo. “Both Sheriff Scott and I, above all else, recognize the need to remove violent offenders from the streets and neighborhoods of Lee County. The apprehension of Paul Shannon Jacob, by the Lee County Sheriff’s Office, places a cruel and dangerous criminal in a place where he can do no further damage.”
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Man arrested for DUI in hit-and-run crash that injured 3 children on I-75
- Deputies looking for man who could be armed after homicide at Carrollwood apartment complex
- INVESTIGATION: FHP trooper resigns, accused of having sex with crash victim while on duty
- Claire’s stores pull make-up kits due to asbestos concerns
- Duck hunters’ gunshots frightening Pinellas residents near Bayside Bridge
- Police: Woman raped at Tampa spa where she worked