CANCUN, Mexico (AP) – Mexico officials say 8 Americans, 2 Swedes, 1 Canadian and 1 Mexican resident died when a tour bus flipped over Tuesday in Mexico.
The bus was carrying tourists from cruise ships docked in Mahahual to the Mayan ruins. Twelve people were killed, including a Mexican tour guide.
The U.S. State Department says that it has confirmed “multiple” U.S. citizens died and several were injured in the crash. It said it had staff on the ground assisting victims and loved ones
“We express our heartfelt condolences to all those affected by this tragedy,” said State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert.
Quintana Roo state authorities put the number of dead Americans at eight.
The Swedish Foreign Ministry confirmed two of its citizens died, and Global Affairs Canada said Wednesday that one of its citizens died and three were injured.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Woman, 26, gives birth to baby who spent 24 years as frozen embryo
- Toys for Tots website confuses some Pinellas parents, puts toy delivery at risk
- Report finds Senator Latvala likely touched woman inappropriately
- Teen in car when pregnant sister was shot and killed in Clearwater begging for answers
- Worker fired for racy joke written inside pizza box
- Father vanishes after dropping off lunch at daughter’s school in Hillsborough