VENICE, Fla. (WFLA) – A Venice couple is accused of child abuse after deputies say they claimed a 2-month-old child’s severe head injuries were caused by a cell phone.
The investigation began on Dec. 12 when Ashley Finnegan, 29, called 911 stating the baby was accidentally struck in the head with a cell phone by her boyfriend, George Gluschenko Jr., 34.
During interviews, Gluschenko told detectives he was unaware the baby was on the bed when he threw the phone.
Based on the injuries sustained, the baby was transported to All Children’s Hospital and examined by a Child Protection Team doctor.
After undergoing CT scans and surgery, doctors concluded the severe skull fractures and underlying hemorrhages were not consistent with the couples’ story, but were the result of physical abuse.
Detectives say the false information given by Finnegan caused a delay in accurate treatment of the baby’s injuries.
Gluschenko was arrested and charged with Aggravated Child Abuse and Finnegan was arrested and charged with Aggravated Child Abuse: Accessory After the Fact and Neglect of a Child with Great Bodily Harm.
Both are being held in the Sarasota County Jail without bond.
Authorities say the baby is still in the hospital undergoing treatment but is very responsive.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Woman, 26, gives birth to baby who spent 24 years as frozen embryo
- Winter Haven teacher accused of sending sexually explicit photos to boy, 15
- Father vanishes after dropping off lunch at daughter’s school in Hillsborough
- Pregnant woman killed in Clearwater drive-by shooting, family was in car with her
- Tampa attorney busted with pants down during sex act with Pinellas inmate, sheriff says
- Train was traveling 80 mph in 30 mph zone before derailing, crashing onto interstate
- Dog expert: What makes a dog turn on its owner?