TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Did you see fireballs in the sky Tuesday night?
If you saw a fireball, you were not alone.
“The American Meteor Society received over 50 reports of a fireball in the sky the evening of December 5. Most of the sightings were concentrated over Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee, and Sarasota Counties,” said Storm Team 8 Meteorologist Ed Bloodsworth.
WFLA viewers reported multiple sightings of streaking flashes of light in the night sky.
Teresa Grocki says she was in her normal, nightly routine Tuesday night. She tells News Channel 8, “I get up from my computer around 6:20, 6:30… sit on my sofa cause I want to watch NBC Nightly News. I watch it every single night of my life.”
But something odd in the sky caught her eye. She describes it as, “It was yellow then orange then blue then green.”
Grocki was one of dozens of eyewitnesses like Kari Powell who caught the fiery flash. Powell recorded it on her dashcam.
Others saw the fireball and wrote about it on the WFLA Facebook page.
“Sitting at a red light in Tampa at Ehrlich and Dale Mabry and just saw a huge ball of fire come down out of the sky like a comet or meteor or Fireball or something,” wrote Heather King Busciglio on the WFLA Facebook page.
“About 6:30 tonight, did anyone report a flash across the sky down at the mouth of the bay from east to west, it flashed yellow, orange green, blue. I saw no crash landing, maybe it landed it water? It was an awesome fireball. I have never seen one before but I bet it was a meteor,” said Teresa Grocki.
Heather Fox lives in Riverview. A surveillance camera at her home recorded a fireball in the sky.
“My husband was outside talking to his friend when and he saw it with his own eyes. He came running inside and told me to play back the security cameras to see if they got it,” said Fox.
“He thought it was a shooting star. He said that was the longest and brightest shooting star he’s seen,” she added.
“When we played it back we knew it couldn’t be a star, by the way it lit up the clouds at the end.”
Did you see a fireball? Share your photos on the WFLA Facebook page.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Seminole Heights murder suspect’s parents ‘willing to go to jail,’ refuse to answer questions
- Davenport mayor arrested, accused of using dead persons’ IDs
- Witnesses say woman screamed for help, was pushed into vehicle on UCF campus
- TIME Magazine names #MeToo Movement 2017 Person of the Year
- Teen found kidnapped, battered in Polk Co. after suspected pimp calls police worried about her
- Cape Coral woman adopts wild iguana when it was a baby, has since been attacked by it twice
- Unqualified ASL poser with criminal past dupes police at Seminole Heights killer news conference