ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) – A Florida middle school student trying out for a basketball team collapsed in a gym and was later pronounced dead.
The St. Augustine Record reports the girl collapsed Tuesday during the afterschool event.
Paramedics brought her to a hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Authorities didn’t release the student’s name or age, but said she was a teenager.
Murray Middle School Principal Tom Schwarm said grief counselors and school district staff will be available for students Wednesday.
The St. Johns County Sheriff’s office said a medical coroner will determine the cause of death.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Seminole Heights murder suspect’s parents ‘willing to go to jail,’ refuse to answer questions
- Witnesses say woman screamed for help, was pushed into vehicle on UCF campus
- TIME Magazine names #MeToo Movement 2017 Person of the Year
- Teen found kidnapped, battered in Polk Co. after suspected pimp calls police worried about her
- Cape Coral woman adopts wild iguana when it was a baby, has since been attacked by it twice
- Unqualified ASL poser with criminal past dupes police at Seminole Heights killer news conference