(WFLA/AP) – The USF Bulls are headed to Alabama for the 2017 Birmingham Bowl.
No. 23 South Florida (9-2, 6-2 AAC) and Texas Tech (6-6, 3-6 Big 12) are scheduled to face off at Birmingham’s Legion Field on Dec. 23.
South Florida: QB Quinton Flowers set school records with 605 total yards and 503 passing yards in a 49-42 loss to No. 10 UCF in the regular-season finale. Flowers’ 11,395 total yards is 46 yards shy of the league’s career mark set by Temple’s Philip Walker from 2013-16.
Texas Tech: QB Nic Shimonek has passed for 3,547 yards with 30 touchdowns and eight interceptions.
South Florida: 1-3 against Big 12 teams, all during the regular season. Ranks eighth nationally in total offense, averaging 508.6 yards per game. First-year coach Charlie Strong trying to lead team to its second straight season with double-digit wins.
Texas Tech: Last played at Legion Field in 1989, beating No. 20 Duke 49-21 in the 1989 All-American Bowl. Finished regular season with a come-from-behind win over in-state rival Texas, scoring two fourth-quarter touchdowns to win 27-23.
South Florida: Third straight postseason appearance; 5-3 overall in bowl games. Beat South Carolina 46-39 in overtime in last year’s Birmingham Bowl.
Texas Tech: 38th bowl appearance and has won four of its last five. That’s the 20th-most bowl games in the FBS.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Cops: Daytona man arrested in online child sex sting said he was going to kill girl
- Search underway for driver who intentionally hit Dade City police officer
- Authorities trying to identify body of male found near Egmont Key
- Man organizing memorial for Hillsborough deputy fatally struck during event
- Missing Child Alert issued for non-verbal Florida girl, 4, last seen wearing nightgown