TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – Florida’s crime rate is dropping, but the number of rapes is growing.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement on Tuesday released a report that analyzed reported crimes in the first six months of the year.
The good news in the report showed that Florida’s crime volume dropped two percent compared to the same time period in 2016.
But the bad news is that the number of rapes jumped up 8.1 percent from 3,769 to 4,073.
The number of murders statewide declined slightly for the first six months from 561 to 531. But last year’s murder total included the 49 people who were gunned down at the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando.
There has also been a decline in other types of crimes, such as burglary, robbery and aggravated assault.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- US Navy plane with 11 aboard crashes into Pacific; 8 found
- US 19 reopens in Pasco Co., firefighters at scene of strip club fire
- Former Florida student awarded $49.3 million after being repeatedly raped by teacher in classroom
- Sheriff: North Carolina teen used hatchet to decapitate puppy during dispute
- Teen idol David Cassidy, ‘Partridge Family’ star, dies at 67
- Suspected Florida serial killer wrote message with victim’s blood, police say
- Tampa Bay area police, firefighters, engineers buy fake college diploma