TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Reports of residents hearing several gunshots in Seminole Heights came flooding in online Thursday night into early Friday morning.
News Channel 8 discovered that Tampa police officers reported over the radio that they heard four gunshots around midnight in the area of Nebraska Avenue and Cayuga Street.
Residents are on edge as police work to catch a killer believed to have murdered four random victims between Oct. 9 and Nov. 14.
The shots were reported blocks away from where Ronnie Felton, the fourth victim, was murdered while crossing Nebraska Avenue Tuesday morning.
Tampa police spokesperson Steve Hegarty says nothing was discovered during the investigation and no arrests were made.
Many residents posted online that they heard five to six gunshots around Osborne Avenue and Emma Street.
Several officers could be heard over the radio as police closed in on the area.
Hegarty says they’ve been seeing more reports of what people believe to be shots fired in the area. He says families are on edge and are calling in all loud noises that may sound suspicious.
Police are encouraging all tips to be called in.
“I don’t care what they say snitching or not, it’s not even about the money. I just want him off the streets, not only for the safety of other people, but most definitely my kids,” said Seminole Heights resident Jolynn Pons.
Hegarty says the department has received roughly 1,000 tips this week following Felton’s murder and the release of a second video showing the person believed to be the suspect.
Frank Roder says he helped start the neighborhood watch program back in the 80’s and is proud of how his community has stuck together during all of this.
“We’re all hurting together and that’s a good thing. We’re taking care of each other and that’s the way neighbors take care of each other, but it’s just not the way we’re used to living,” Roder said.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- NFL investigates Jameis Winston for allegedly groping an Uber driver in 2016, report says
- Sarasota Uber driver shoots passenger after getting punched
- Florida Democratic Party chairman resigns over sexual comments
- Tampa police believe one person responsible for all 4 Seminole Heights murders
- Bradenton women given drugs, locked in storage unit, sold for sex, deputies say
- Navy admits flight crew created phallic skydrawing over town
- Tampa Holiday Tradition: Winter Village opens tonight with free ice skating, movie