HOLLYWOOD, Fla. (AP) – A Florida city is expected to change the names of three streets named for Confederate generals after a contentious debate.
The Hollywood City Commission is expected to vote Wednesday to change the names of streets named for Robert E. Lee, Nathan Bedford Forrest and John Bell Hood to Freedom, Hope and Liberty.
The South Florida Sun Sentinel reports that at least five of the seven commissioners are expected to approve the change. The streets were named 91 years ago when the city was chartered.
More than 100 people signed up to speak for and against the change at a commission meeting last summer and one anti-change protester was arrested when he tried to fight a group of pro-change demonstrators.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Seminole Heights Murders: Residents asked to report missing guns, check surveillance video
- Deputies: Man forced boy to hold weighted bar, beat him with pipe at Tampa gym
- Witness provides description of Seminole Heights murder suspect after 4th victim found in road
- Zephyrhills police officer’s home, cruiser shot up, 2 suspects on the loose
- Teachers, students protest teacher pay at Hillsborough School Board meeting
- Clearwater Beach man facing eviction over emotional support squirrel