TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A fatal crash on Interstate-275 at Dale Mabry Highway caused a huge traffic jam in the Tampa Bay area during the Monday morning commute.
The crash happened around 7:15 a.m. in the northbound lanes on I-275 near the Dale Mabry exit ramp.
Ian Olvera Rangel, 27, of Tampa, was getting on I-275 north at Dale Mabry when he cut through the center median at a high rate of speed and crashed his 2015 Mustang into the back of a disabled freight truck, Florida Highway Patrol said. Rangel died at the scene.
The impact forced the truck to hit driver Chris Cobian, 47, who was standing outside the vehicle. He was not injured.
The crash caused delays of at least an hour on the Howard Frankland Bridge and the Veterans Expressway.
The northbound I-275 entrance ramps at Dale Mabry and Himes Avenue were closed because of the crash, according to the Florida Highway Patrol.
The crash scene was cleared around 11:25 a.m.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Florida Strawberry Festival announces 2018 entertainment lineup
- Cops: Florida man killed 3-year-old girl, kicked her in head for getting out of car seat
- Man shot dead inside Tampa nightclub, others could be injured
- Car hits 3 pedestrians in Brandon, 2 killed
- Man’s body found in wooded area in New Port Richey
- Suspected Florida serial killer wrote message with victim’s blood, police say
- VIDEO: Orlando TSA agent risks life, grabs exploding bag
- WATCH: Women climb through drive-thru window to assault manager over McNuggets order
- No experience required for $10,000 a month ‘CEO’ job in Cancun