SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – Sarasota police have arrested 16 people in a major undercover drug investigation.
Police say the street level drug dealers were openly selling illegal narcotics in the City of Sarasota.
Four suspects are still wanted by authorities.
All 20 suspects have a combined total of 559 prior felony arrests and 174 prior felony convictions.
The investigation began early this year.
Sarasota Police Chief Bernadette DiPino and members of the Sarasota Police Department Criminal Investigations Division will release details on Wednesday morning about the undercover operation which is called “Operation Corner Stone.”
The operation got its name because it focused on arresting people who deal drugs on the streets or “corners” and “stone” is the street name for rock cocaine.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- MANHUNT: Deputies searching for man suspected of murdering Bushnell girl, 16
- Students at 8 Hillsborough high schools protest because teachers still waiting for pay raises
- US Marshals warn of scammers who call from phone numbers that appear legitimate
- Pinellas parents bury newborn who died in Pasco foster care
- Former MLB player Roy Halladay killed in plane crash in Gulf of Mexico
- Woman gets refund for questionable boot on car after Better Call Behnken investigation
- WATCH: Officer punches woman who slapped him at Univ. of Miami game9-year-old with cancer wants cards for his last Christmas
- VIDEO: Woman climbs into Tampa storm drain to rescue kitten