PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Voters in Pinellas County decided Tuesday to extend the Penny for Pinellas tax for another 10 years.
Voters overwhelmingly approved the extension, that will start in 2020.
With 299 of 301 precincts reporting:
- 82.61 percent voted yes (138,950 votes)
- 17.39 percent voted no (29,245 votes)
Officials say the tax will raise $2 billion that will go toward basic city and county improvements.
It has been in place since 1990.
The tax will maintain a 7 percent sales tax in Pinellas for spending up to $5,000. After that, consumers will pay 6 percent.
- READ: More information on Penny for Pinellas
- MAP: Future Penny for Pinellas projects
- RELATED STORY: Voters to decide whether to extend $2 billion Penny for Pinellas tax
- RELATED STORY: Penny for Pinellas tax promotion has some mystery costs that You Paid For
MORE ELECTION RESULTS: