TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — The president of the Florida Senate says an outside investigator will be hired to examine allegations that a powerful Republican member who is running for governor groped and harassed women.
Senate President Joe Negron made the announcement Saturday after the Senate’s general counsel, Dawn Roberts, recused herself because she has worked with Republican Sen. Jack Latvala of Clearwater.
Politico Florida has reported that six women say Latvala either touched them inappropriately or made demeaning comments about their bodies.
Latvala is chairman of the Senate budget committee. He denies the allegations and says he is being targeted because he is running for the Republican gubernatorial nomination.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Food for Florida: What to know about applying for assistance in Pasco County
- Drew Garabo listeners say they lost retirement savings to product he endorsed
- Canadian angler sharing story of latest catch, warning for Tampa Bay area
- Police: Child fatally stabs himself as mom beats, chokes him
- Kansas man seeks to withdraw guilty plea in death of son who was fed to pigs