Unattended toddler caused apartment fire in Florida

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (AP) — Police say a Florida mother was miles away from her home when her 3-year-old child started an apartment fire while using a microwave.

The News Herald reports that management at a Panama City apartment complex saw a trail of smoke coming from a unit Tuesday. Inside, they found two children — ages 1 and 3 — who were unattended.

A police report says the 3-year-old overcooked some food in the microwave, causing the small fire, which filled the apartment with smoke. The report says the children had been left without adequate food.

Neither child was injured.

Police found their mother, Dionzia Johnson, some three miles away. She’s been charged with two felony counts of child neglect. Johnson says her car had broken down and she couldn’t get back to her children.

STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s