PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Florida Highway Patrol troopers are searching for the driver of a SUV that ran over a man and then sped away.
The victim, Levi Forsyth, 38, of St. Petersburg, died at a local hospital.
Investigators say it happened around 7:20 p.m. Wednesday in a construction zone along 54th Avenue North.
A red or gold SUV was traveling eastbound on 54th Avenue North in the inside lane approaching Haines Road North. Forsyth was walking in an unknown direction in the travel lane and was hit by the SUV and thrown into the outside lane.
A second SUV was also traveling eastbound on 54th Avenue North in the outside lane and also hit Forsyth. That driver remained at the scene of the crash as required by law.
The woman who was driving the second SUV told News Channel 8 that she accidentally ran over the man after he was hit by the first SUV. The woman said the victim was walking south across the road when the first SUV hit him, then she hit him too.
This all happened right in front of the Boardwalk Tavern.
Florida Highway Patrol investigators are looking for a small to mid-sized red or gold SUV-type vehicle similar to a Ford Edge. Anyone with information that can help investigators is asked to contact FHP by calling *FHP or Crime Stoppers.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Manatee sheriff seeks help finding girl, 14, last seen at bus stop
- Feds: Tampa truck attack suspect said ‘he felt good about’ rampage
- 3 killed in Colorado Walmart shooting; police seek suspect
- DJ Drew Garabo listeners say they lost retirement savings to product he endorsed
- Backpack contents lead to child porn charges for Pasco School employee
- College student charged after rubbing used tampons on black roommate’s bag, police say