PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A trooper and a jet skier sprang into action Sunday afternoon when a boat capsized near the Skyway Bridge.
Corporal Jim Covert of the Florida Highway Patrol was patrolling the bridge when he noticed three boaters sitting atop an overturned vessel.
He radioed for help, but soon came to realize there were no rescue vessels nearby.
The trooper noticed David Teichman, 26, of St. Petersburg, parked near a rest area with his jet ski.
Teichman immediately came to the Corporal Covert’s aid, rode his jet ski to the overturned boat and brought the boaters safely back to shore.
The boaters were identified as Vincent A. Alcedo, 25, Stephen J. LaVelle, 24, and Alexis A. Daymont, 22.
The Florida Highway Patrol said the boat was hit with powerful waves, causing it to overturn. It had left John’s Pass earlier that day.
Multiple agencies, including the St. Petersburg Fire Rescue, Coast Guard and FWC responded to the incident as well.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW
- Couple that survived Las Vegas shooting die in auto crash
- It’s official: Jim McElwain out as head coach at Florida
- Woman killed after boy jumps off overpass, lands on her car
- Saudi Arabia grants citizenship to robot that once said it would ‘destroy humans’
- Tampa restaurant serving craft beer, pizza bans children