FAYETTEVILLE, W. Va. (WFLA) — Parachutists from all over the world gathered in West Virginia on Saturday to take part in a heart-stopping tradition.
The annual Bridge Day Festival is the only time people are legally allowed to jump off the New River Gorge Bridge in Fayetteville.
Base-jumping daredevils launch themselves off the bridge above white-water rapids to celebrate the tradition.
The bridge stands at 876 feet and is considered the third-highest bridge in the country.
The festival began in 1980. Organizers estimated about 80,000 people would show up this year.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Man with autism took wrong bus home from work, became 3rd Seminole Heights murder victim
- Trump to allow release of JFK assassination files
- Doctors and cops among 277 arrested in human trafficking, online prostitution sting in Polk County
- Florida man said he killed wife by karate-chopping her in neck
- WATCH: New Mexico officer moved to tears after DWI stop
- VIDEO: Jacksonville doctor dances to cheer up scared kids during hospital visit