CLEARWATER BEACH, Fla. (WFLA) – A Sarasota man was arrested on cocaine and DUI charges after deputies say a truck he was driving crashed and tore up a St. Pete Beach hotel parking garage.
Deputies responded to the Hotel Zemora at 12:49 Friday morning.
Edgar Hidalgo, 32, told deputies he was at a party at the hotel and was dropping off a friend at the parking garage.
The U-Haul rental truck he was driving crashed into the parking garage ceiling. He continued to drive through the parking garage, tearing up the ceiling. He then took off, according to deputies.
“I heard a loud boom and sure enough it was him crashing into the structure and at that point I ran over and they kept going five more yards and the guys swaps into reverse,” said Steven Clarke, who is a valet at the hotel.
Deputies pulled Hidalgo over at Gulf Winds Drive and 64th Avenue. Hidalgo told them he fled the scene and hid the truck in the area until deputies left the area.
He said he was planning to move to Miami the same morning.
Hidalgo was arrested on charges of DUI, leaving the scene of a crash, and possession of cocaine.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Locally-transmitted case of Zika identified in Manatee County
- Hudson shooting suspect confirmed dead
- Missing sex predator found dead in Hernando County
- Dog missing after escaping from tram on Tampa Intl. Airport runway
- Naked intruder, 63, found eating can of pineapple in Florida home
- Body camera video shows overdosed Florida moms with babies in back of SUV
- Traffic stop turns into shopping trip for local 6th grader, full tank of gas for mom
- What do you see? Internet divided over color of these sneakers