TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – A Tampa man was jailed on an arson charge after he reportedly set his house on fire Thursday morning.
Investigators said 55-year-old Johnny Dale Durden poured a gallon of gasoline on his porch and lit his porch on fire, causing the entire home to go up in flames. Witnesses saw him leaving the home with the fire behind him. Police said Durden sustained undisclosed injuries in the process. No one else was injured in the incident.
Tampa Fire Rescue arrived at the home, which is located in the 2000 block of E. Fairbanks Ave, around 5 a.m. and got the fire under control in 26 minutes. By the time the fire was contained, the roof and the rear exterior walls had collapsed. Investigators said the fire caused an estimated $33,000 worth of damage.
Durden was arrested on the scene and will be charged with first-degree arson.
He was taken to the hospital for an evaluation of his injuries before being booked into the Hillsborough County Jail.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Dog missing after escaping from tram on Tampa Intl. Airport runway
- Body camera video shows overdosed Florida moms with babies in back of SUV
- Badly-burned body found inside New Port Richey ‘hoarder home’ identified
- Wimauma man arrested after 14-year-old girl gives birth to his daughter
- Insurance company pays $20K to families of teens who died after crashing stolen SUV in Palm Harbor
- Traffic stop turns into shopping trip for local 6th grader, full tank of gas for mom
- What do you see? Internet divided over color of these sneakers