WEST MELBOURNE, Fla. (AP) – Authorities say a 16-year-old boy has been found dead inside a Florida home where he had fired shots at police officers hours earlier.
West Melbourne police said on Twitter the teen appears to have shot himself early Thursday morning.
A police report says a woman called 911 late Wednesday saying her grandson was throwing things inside the house. Officers were interviewing residents of the home when the teen came out of a back bedroom and started firing.
The officers retreated toward the front door with three other residents of the home as he kept firing. No one was injured and police didn’t return fire. A SWAT team surrounded the house all night.
Two other occupants remained in the home overnight but safely got out early Thursday.
Melbourne is on Florida’s Atlantic Coast.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Insurance company pays $20K to families of teens who died after crashing stolen SUV in Palm Harbor
- Opioid crisis hits Spring Hill family
- Company refuses to pay for damage after home gets eaten by termites in Lutz
- Badly-burned body found inside New Port Richey ‘hoarder home’ identified
- Police arrest 10 in drinking death of LSU fraternity pledge
- Tampa man charged with sex trafficking of teenage girl