SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – The Sarasota County Fire Department is on scene of where a worker was burned when an electrical line came in contact with a vehicle on Tuesday.
The incident happened at Lorraine Road and Fruitville Road.
A 23-year-old man was working on a boom lift when somehow, the live power line came in contact with the vehicle and started a fire while the man was on board.
A spotter on the ground called 911, but was not injured.
The man was flown as a trauma alert to Blake Medical Center.
It is unclear what the man was doing and who he was working for. It is also unclear how the live power line came down.
A Florida Power & Light spokesman said the victim did not work for them.
FP&L is working with law enforcement and the company was brought in to turn off power to the area.
About 3,000 customers were initially affected by the accident. Now 350 remain without power.
Stay with WFLA.com as more information becomes available on this story.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON —
- Tampa pharmacist arrested for sexually battering woman he met on Tinder
- Chasing a ghost: Sisters’ DNA offers clue into sibling’s murder mystery in Tampa
- Longboat Key police: Vacation rental home secretly recorded guests
- Police search for driver in deadly hit-and-run in Tampa
- Manatee County students to ask school board for permission to kneel during anthem
- Oreo offers $50K for correctly guessing mystery flavor