MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) – Police in Miami fatally shot a woman who they say caused at least one crash and knocked an officer to the ground with her car.
The incident unfolded Sunday night as people dined in sidewalk cafes.
Miami Beach Police Chief Daniel Oates tells news outlets that the woman, who was driving a black BMW, ran through a red light and hit a Mercedes.
She then accelerated and hit an officer, who was on foot as part of a Columbus Day holiday weekend patrol.
Oates says another officer opened fire and the driver lost control of her vehicle and struck a parked SUV.
The woman was taken to the hospital where she died.
The officer is in stable condition. Miami-Dade police detectives are investigating the incident.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- People line up at 1 am to sign up for Hurricane Irma aid in Plant City
- Hernando sheriff seeks help finding sex predator who cut off ankle monitor
- Tropical Depression 17 forms, no threat to U.S.
- Family’s plea in Tampa cold case: ‘Lord, let her be alive’
- HART bus schedule changes creating challenges for passengers
- Jerry Jones: Cowboys ‘will not play’ if they disrespect flag
- Dad sent missing toddler to alley at 3 a.m. because she didn’t drink milk, police say
- WATCH: Man arrested after clinging to moving school bus