SPRING HILL, Fla. (WFLA) – The 17-year-old boy accused of shooting an 18-year-old girl at a Spring Hill apartment complex was arrested Friday afternoon.
Christian Fitzgerald was taken into custody at his apartment without incident by Hernando County deputies. They said he had returned just before 4 p.m. after being gone since the shooting occurred.
Sheriff Al Nienhuis said witnesses and the victim identified the shooter as Christian Rakewon Fitzgerald.
The victim, Brianna Goble, was airlifted to a trauma center for treatment after getting shot in the face. She was in stable condition and was expected to recover.
Deputies responded to the Spring Haven Apartments north of County Line Road on Mariner Boulevard about 9:30 p.m.
Goble was walking along the Spring Haven Loop area, near the apartment’s clubhouse and pool, when she was shot.
“It was horrifying. It was horrifying,” said neighbor Kathleen Cancel, the first person to run to the girl’s side after the shooting.
Cancel thought the pop of the gun was fireworks, then realized it was a whole lot worse.
“She was shot in the mouth and just full of blood,” she said. “And she just started going through a shaking mode.”
Cancel said the girl’s brother was with her and was frantic. He was not hurt.
Fitzgerald is known to deputies. He has an outstanding pickup order on another offense.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- 13 Florida cases: CDC warns of bacterial-illness outbreak linked to pet-store puppies
- Riverview man accused of murdering daughter, 13, to appear in court
- Unknown gunman shoots teenage girl at Spring Hill apartment complex
- White nationalist Richard Spencer to speak at Univ. of Florida
- TS Nate to bring rip current risk to Tampa Bay area this weekend