TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. (WFLA) – A Tampa Bay area bar owner was at the Route 91 Harvest festival when gunfire from the Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas broke out.
Johnny Stamper, owner of Johnny’s Taphouse and Grill, and his girlfriend Denise Decker witnessed the horror.
They were sitting in the VIP area at the concert, watching Jason Aldean when cheers suddenly turned to screams.
“When he came on, it was probably about 20 minutes into his set maybe, when all hell broke loose. You know, the bullets just started flying,” said Stamper.
He said they quickly got on the ground.
“First round, we just laid down by our seats and then he had to reload. He probably fired about two or three hundred shots by then,” he said.
He said they bolted, running for their lives.
“And then we ran down the steps from the VIP and there was a wall there on the Las Vegas strip and it’s probably about seven or eight feet high and there was a railing on it and so we just jumped over the wall. That’s when he started firing again,” said Stamper. “Then the police were just pulling up and they were yelling to each other, ‘where’s the shooter, where’s the shooter.'”
The made it to their hotel safely. What was supposed to be a birthday celebration for Decker, is now a nightmare.
“She couldn’t get out of bed. She was struggling hard on Monday,” he said.
The couple will head back to Florida next week, but their hearts will stay in Las Vegas.
“I feel sad for all the victims. It’s just horrible,” said Stamper.
The couple left Las Vegas and headed to another music festival, but decided to give the tickets away after witnessing the massacre.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON –
- Bradenton couple’s daughter among those killed in Las Vegas shooting
- Tropical Storm Nate moving across Nicaragua, could bring rain to Tampa Bay area
- Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd calls for gun control
- Las Vegas mass killer researched Lollapalooza before massacre
- NFL: QB Newton’s response to female reporter ‘disrespectful’
- Deputies: Hillsborough toddler suffered with abuse injuries for 2 months
- Netflix raising the price for its most popular plan
- Grandma accidentally buys dirty book for 6-year-old