SEFFNER, Fla. (WFLA) – Deputies say a toddler suffered physical abuse for two months before her caregiver took her to get medical treatment.
Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office deputies arrested Veronica Yuliann Rivera-Cruz on charges of child abuse and child neglect.
Investigators say Rivera-Cruz brought the 19-month-old girl to Brandon Regional Hospital because the child’s left leg was swollen.
Medical personnel discovered multiple injuries to the girl and determined that she had been physically abused consistently for at least two months, based on different stages of healing and acute injuries.
Investigators say Rivera-Cruz failed provide any medical attention for the girl that any prudent person would consider essential to a child’s well-being.
The toddler had to live day-to-day with numerous injuries to her body, according to the sheriff’s office.
The girl is now being treated at All Children’s Hospital in St. Petersburg.
Rivera-Cruz was arrested on four counts of aggravated child abuse and child neglect with great bodily harm.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Suspect Search: 2 shot by man in Halloween mask during 2 attempted carjackings in Hillsborough
- Tropical Depression 16 shifts west, approaching Nicaragua
- Tampa police seek help finding driver who hit woman, left her to die
- Florida set to execute man who murdered 2 after night of drinking in 1983
- Polk veteran awaiting FEMA help still lives without power weeks after Irma
- Las Vegas shooter had escape plan, rented high-rise condo over different music festival
- Man shot near boat ramp in St. Pete
- Lakeland special needs school suddenly closes, parents not able to get children’s things out
- Couple accused of keeping handicapped woman in shed, selling her for sex
BACK TO TOP STORIES