SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — An investigation is underway into the death of a Sarasota County Jail inmate.
The sheriff’s office says 34-year-old Julio Cesar Santos-Rodriguez was found unresponsive in his cell just before 5:30 a.m. on Wednesday.
Deputies called emergency services and tried to perform CPR but were not successful.
Santos-Rodriguez was taken to the hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
At this point, investigators say the death appears to be medical but the official cause of death will be determined by the medical examiner’s office.
Santos-Rodriguez was arrested in January of 2016 and was being held on a negligent manslaughter charge.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Las Vegas gunman’s girlfriend returns to US for questioning
- FBI joins investigation to find missing Sarasota teen Jabez Spann
- Poll: Few approve of Trump’s Puerto Rico response
- University of Florida student shot during Las Vegas massacre
- 12 arrested in Polk child porn investigation
- 5-year-old Orange Co. boy shoots, kills self with relative’s gun
- Las Vegas gunman Stephen Paddock wired $100,000 to Philippines
- Better Call Behnken: Driver gets red-light ticket for ‘violation’ during Sarasota funeral procession