ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – Pinellas authorities are investigating after a 34-year-old man drowned at St. Pete Beach.
Deputies said Bret Rule of Port Charlotte was found unconscious in the water behind the Plaza Beach Motel at 4506 Gulf Blvd. around 6:30 p.m. Sunday.
Rule was seen on the beach alone shortly before his death. Witnesses said he appeared to be intoxicated and was acting incoherently.
Investigators believe he entered the water between 5:00 pm and 6:30 pm.
A passerby found him unconscious and pulled him ashore. Paramedics came to the scene and attempted life-saving measures before Rule was taken to Palms of Pasadena Hospital and pronounced dead.
Deputies believe alcohol and/or drugs were a factor in his death.
An investigation into the drowning is ongoing.
No further details are available at this time.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Person of interest in Winter Park nanny’s death apprehended
- Parole official: Simpson will live in Vegas area
- Boat crash brings southbound traffic on Howard Frankland Bridge to near standstill
- Florida man loses fake eye while surfing
- Florida teen accidentally shot by stepfather during heated debate over Trump, situation in Puerto Rico
- VIDEO: Marilyn Manson hurt onstage during NYC show
- Tampa jeweler offers to replace missing wedding ring for lineman who worked after Irma
- La Niña pattern will impact Tampa Bay this fall and winter
- PHOTOS: Walt Disney World celebrates 46 years