FRESNO COUNTY, Calif. (WFLA) —A California gym teacher is behind bars after he allegedly tied a jump rope around multiple students’ necks as a form of discipline, KMPH reports.
The Fresno County Sheriff’s Department was called to Herndon Barstow Elementary teacher after a student was reportedly injured by a physical education teacher at the school.
Investigators learned the teacher, Peter Samhammer, 64, had tried to punish several students by choking them with a jump rope.
He allegedly tied the jump rope around their necks and tightened it before releasing them.
Detectives observed red marks on the victims’ necks and shoulders.
Samhammer was taken into custody and charged with four counts of child abuse.
Central Unified School District released a statement on the situation:
Mr. Samhammer is on official administrative leave. Student safety is a top priority for the district and as such, we are fully cooperating with the Fresno County Sheriff’s Office and will continue to do so throughout the course of its investigation.”
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- La Niña pattern will impact Tampa Bay this fall and winter
- Trump lashes out at San Juan mayor who begged for more help
- St. Pete family to be rescued from Puerto Rico after News Channel 8 story
- Police release photos in suspicious case of missing Orange Co. nanny
- 3 former Hernando Beach Volunteer Fire Chiefs arrested for organized fraud
- Mom’s viral photo of mangled car shows importance of car seats
- VIDEO: Tampa football melee could mean game suspensions
- Tampa jeweler offers to replace missing wedding ring for lineman who worked after Irma