PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — The Florida Highway Patrol is investigating a deadly crash that killed an alligator trapper in Pasco County.
The crash happened at 6:38 a.m. Friday at the intersection of Otis Allen Road and Old Lakeland Highway.
Investigators say a 2016 Ford Mustang driven by Jason Alvarez, 38, of Zephyrhills was traveling eastbound on Otis Allen Road and failed to stop at the intersection, despite a posted stop sign.
The Mustang entered the path of a 2006 Dodge Ram truck driven by John Leo Wilson, 52, of Tampa.
The front of the Mustang collided with the left side of the Ram, causing the truck to overturn.
Wilson, who was an alligator trapper, died at the scene. Investigators say he was not wearing a seat belt.
Alvarez suffered minor injuries. He was wearing a seat belt.
The crash closed the intersection.
Charges are pending.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- St. Pete family to be rescued from Puerto Rico after News Channel 8 story
- Better Call Behnken: Brides-to-be in panic mode after Lakeland bridal shop closes
- MISSING: Police release photos in case of missing Orange Co. nanny
- Woman found dead behind bushes in Tampa identified
- Caught on cam: Where are coyotes seen most in the Tampa Bay area?
- Tampa flying club, volunteers getting supplies to Puerto Rico
- Officials: Transgender teen’s grisly death not a hate crime