TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Steven Lorenzo, the man suspected in a gruesome murder that shocked people in the Tampa Bay area back in 2003, told a judge on Wednesday that he wants to represent himself during his trial.
Lorenzo is accused in the torture deaths of 26-year-olds Jason Galehouse and Michael Wachholtz.
Lorenzo appeared at an arraignment hearing in a Hillsborough County courtroom on Wednesday morning.
Lorenzo’s partner, Scott Schweikert took a plea deal June 2016. By admitting to the judge that he and Lorenzo murdered the two, he will avoid the death penalty.
In his testimony to the judge last year, Schweikert said that together, he and Lorenzo would stalk their victims at gay nightclubs in Tampa. They would follow them, drug, torture, rape and then kill them.
Lorenzo has been serving a 200-year sentence in federal prison for drugging nine men with the intent to cause violence to them.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Two Pinellas 7-Eleven stores robbed within minutes of each other
- Sarasota PD seeks help finding woman who texted about medical emergency
- NCAA coaches among 10 arrested by FBI in fraud and corruption probe
- Citgo accused of selling crack, meth pipes in Trilby
- Tampa Bay area McDonald’s to thank first responders with free meals on Sept. 27
- Body found near intersection in Tampa may be identified by tattoos
- Baby left on side of Oklahoma freeway in car seat with cash