TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Miami native Pitbull is being praised by a Puerto Rico congresswoman after the singer sent his private plane to the hurricane-ravaged island to evacuate cancer patients.
Congresswoman Jenniffer Gonzalez-Colon represents Puerto Rico.
On Tuesday, she tweeted a special thank you to the rapper in Spanish.
Translated, the tweet said, “Thanks to singer Pitbull providing private aircraft to transport PR USA cancer patients to take to chemo”
Pitbull told the New York Daily News that it was the least he could do.
“Thank God we’re blessed to help. Just doing my part,” he said in a statement to the New York Daily News.
Hurricane Maria ravaged Puerto Rico on Sept. 20, killing at least 16 people and leaving almost all 3.4 million who live there without power. Most people are also without water.
Maria was the strongest hurricane to hit Puerto Rico in almost 100 years.
MORE STORIES ABOUT PUERTO RICO HURRICANE VICTIMS-
- ‘Nothing, nothing.’ Aid lags in hurricane-torn Puerto Rico
- RELATED: St. Petersburg family living in Puerto Rico trapped on island, running out of food
- Tampa Bay area residents have growing concerns about loved ones in Puerto Rico
- ‘United for Puerto Rico Tampa Bay’ collecting supplies to send to friends, family
- MacDill stages missions of mercy to save lives in areas devastated by Hurricane Maria
- Berkeley Prep student raises thousands for Puerto Rico hurricane victims
- Tampa Bay organizations collect relief supplies for Puerto Rico
- AT&T creates website to help locate family, friends in Puerto Rico