PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Two children are in critical condition after a two-vehicle crash in Pinellas County Sunday afternoon.
It happened at 3:52 p.m. near the intersection of CR-1 (Starkey Road) and 102nd Avenue North.
Florida Highway Patrol investigators said a Chevy Equinox with worn down tires was traveling northbound on Starkey Road and hydroplaned through standing water on the roadway.
The driver, Karen Thaxton, 32, lost control of the vehicle and drove through the center median into southbound traffic, hitting a Toyota Rav 4 head-on.
Marquell Norfleet, a 7-year-old passenger inside the Equinox was ejected from the vehicle and suffered critical injuries. Another passenger, Maurice Norfleet, 6, was also critically injured. Both children were transported to All Children’s Hospital where they remain in critical condition.
Thaxton sustained minor injuries. Micah Callahan, 26, the driver of the Rav 4, was not injured in the accident.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- 2 Bucs players kneel during national anthem, co-chairman releases statement
- Cops: Pasco man pours scalding hot water on 2-year-old girl
- Private contractor killed in Siesta Key after touching live powerline
- Principal killed, daughter, 4, critically injured in Clearwater jet ski crash
- Officials: 1 dead, 7 victims hurt in church shooting
- Search underway for endangered woman after empty car found on Sunshine Skyway Bridge
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers react to President Trump’s comments on NFL players
- A guide to FEMA aid for Hurricane Irma victims