PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — At least two people were injured when a helicopter collided with a plane that was making an emergency landing at Clearwater Airpark, according to Clearwater police and firefighters.
The Federal Aviation Administration said the helicopter, a Robinson R22 was hovering as the Piper PA-28 aircraft was landing on Runway 34. A collision occurred and the plane carrying two passengers flipped over.
Only the pilot was on the helicopter when he hit the plane. Officials said two people were left with minor injuries, but their names and current conditions are unknown.
The Clearwater Fire Department is on the scene cleaning up a fuel leak. An investigation into the incident is ongoing.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Search underway for endangered woman after empty car found on Sunshine Skyway Bridge
- WATCH: Trump says protesting players in NFL should be fired
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers react to President Trump’s comments on NFL players
- VIDEO: Pasco mom, daughter accused of beating driver unconscious in road-rage encounter
- Toddler shoots 2-year-old sister in head with BB gun in Martin Co.
- VIDEO: Erratic driver caught on camera trying to run woman over
- A guide to FEMA aid for Hurricane Irma victims