BALTIMORE (AP) – Wilson Ramos hit his third career grand slam, Evan Longoria also went deep and the Tampa Bay Rays throttled Ubaldo Jimenez in an 8-3 victory over the Baltimore Orioles on Friday night.
Alex Cobb earned his career-high 12th win for the Rays, who interrupted a 4-9 slide and kept alive their slim playoff hopes.
Ramos connected in the second inning and Longoria homered in the third for a 5-2 lead. Both drives came off Jimenez, who likely pitched his final home game with the Orioles following a rocky four-year stint.
Jimenez (6-11) gave up six runs and eight hits in three innings. He was booed lustily by the home fans after each Tampa Bay home run. Since signing his $50 million contract in 2014, Jimenez has at times been effective. Mostly though, he’s been a disappointment.
Jimenez has a 6.81 ERA this season after bouncing between the rotation and the bullpen. He’s 2-4 with a 7.86 ERA at Camden Yards, and the fans have been anything but forgiving.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Better Call Behnken: Tampa Bay area employees losing jobs after not showing up during Hurricane Irma
- Southbound I-75 closed at SR-52 due to tractor-trailer fire
- AMBER Alert ends after guests recognize 4 Manatee kids at Alabama hotel
- VIDEO: Pasco mom, daughter accused of beating driver unconscious in road-rage encounter
- Toddler shoots 2-year-old sister in head with BB gun in Martin Co.
- VIDEO: Winter Haven police search for 2 childcare workers caught berating boy with autism
- A guide to FEMA aid for Hurricane Irma victims