JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) – A Florida high school athlete has died two days after collapsing while working out.
The Florida Times-Union reports that Fleming Island High School sophomore Ben Johnson died Thursday at a Jacksonville hospital. He was in his school’s weight room when he passed out Tuesday.
Hospital officials say Johnson suffered cardiac arrest and irreversible brain damage. An autopsy will be performed to determine the cause.
Johnson played baseball and football for the Golden Eagles.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- AMBER Alert issued for 4 missing Manatee Co. children
- Hurricane Maria regains strength as Cat 3, lashes NE Dominican Republic
- Lineman flown to hospital after being electrocuted in Englewood
- Crews in Mexico still trying to reach girl buried in earthquake rubble
- Polk deputies search for woman who stole dropped money
- St. Petersburg police identify accused attacker, victim describes what happened