TAMPA, Fla. (AP) – A 4-year-old Florida girl has died after accidentally pulling the trigger of a gun when she reached into her grandmother’s purse for candy.
Yanelly “Nelly” Zoller died Sept. 14 at the Tampa home of her grandparents, Michael and Christie Zoller.
Her 22-year-old father Shane Zoller said she just wanted candy.
Tampa police said they are investigating the case, but have no reason to doubt Zoller’s story.
Shane Zoller says he was in high school when he became a father, and if his parents had not helped with Nelly, he would have had to drop out of school.
He says Nelly was “attached to her nana’s hip” and loved staying at her grandparents’ house. Zoller shared custody with the girl’s mother.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Deputies: Pasco women beat female driver unconscious in road rage encounter
- AMBER Alert issued for 4 missing Manatee Co. children
- Toddler shoots 2-year-old sister in head with BB gun in Martin Co.
- Florida store owner fires warning shot at thief, who returns stolen beer
- Hurricane Maria regains strength as Cat 3, lashes NE Dominican Republic
- Man in critical condition after falling off road striping machine in Clearwater
- President Trump issues disaster declaration in Puerto Rico
- Crews in Mexico still trying to reach girl buried in earthquake rubble
- Busch Gardens’ Howl-O-Scream offers 2 new haunted attractions