.BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) – A Louisiana school principal is accused of locking a 5-year-old girl in a closet.
Baton Rouge police say Shafeeq Syid Shamsid Deen, the principal at Laurel Oaks Charter School, turned himself in Friday and was arrested on charges of cruelty to a juvenile and false imprisonment.
A statement from Police Sgt. L’Jean Mckneely Jr. says Deen, 31, is accused of locking a student in a cafeteria closet on August 22.
News media report that the kindergarten student was hysterical when teachers heard her screams and found her.
The charter school’s board suspended Deen on Thursday while it investigates. Its chairwoman and vice-chairman could not immediately be reached for comment Friday.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- 8 On Your Side #FLORIDASTRONG Telethon FRIDAY 6A-9P: Donate $$, drop off supplies
- Deaf community demands apology from Manatee Co. after interpreter disaster at Irma press conference
- Scientology steps into hurricane relief vacuum to help Clearwater storm victims
- Sam’s Club waives membership fees to help Tampa Bay residents recover from Irma
- PHOTOS: Tampa Bay area ‘hot cops’ become internet sensation after Hurricane Irma