LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) — The Lakeland Fire Department was on the scene of a chemical explosion Friday afternoon.
The explosion happened at Ruthven Business Park II on Drane Field Road inside the Natural Advantage Food Flavors warehouse.
Three people were injured, suffering chemical burns. All patients were taken to hospitals in stable condition.
All workers are accounted for. Roughly 50 people were evacuated.
There is no active fire on scene.
According to LFD, the chemicals involved are toluene and sodium hypochlorite, chemicals used to clean kettles food flavorings are made in.
Hazmat teams will check air quality, but crews are fairly confident there is no threat to anyone in the area.
Six employees, six people from neighboring structures, two Lakeland firefighters and two Polk County Fire Rescue firefighters were decontaminated.
The explosion happened across from Lakeland Linder Airport.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- 8 On Your Side #FLORIDASTRONG Telethon FRIDAY 6A-9P: Donate $$, drop off supplies
- Deaf community demands apology from Manatee Co. after interpreter disaster at Irma press conference
- Scientology steps into hurricane relief vacuum to help Clearwater storm victims
- Sam’s Club waives membership fees to help Tampa Bay residents recover from Irma
- PHOTOS: Tampa Bay area ‘hot cops’ become internet sensation after Hurricane Irma