HIGHLANDS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A boat caught fire on Wednesday after a shop vac used to siphon gas exploded in Highlands County, deputies said.
“Safety tip: Do not use a shop vac to try to siphon gas. You are basically creating a bomb,” the sheriff’s office wrote on Facebook.
According to deputies, a responding officer and neighbors kept the fire contained until firefighters arrived to put out the blaze.
No further details regarding the incident have been released at this time.
The Highlands County Sheriff’s Office said everyone should be careful about fueling generators, which should be kept outside.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- 5 dead at Broward Co. nursing home that lost power during Hurricane Irma
- Sarasota Co. couple evacuating from Irma go missing
- Fire destroys Robert E. Lee Elementary School in Tampa
- TRAGEDY: Running generator likely killed 3 family members in Orange Co.
- Irma Power Outages: 859,000 still without power in Tampa Bay area
- Dog who went into labor at Brooksville shelter during Hurricane Irma gives birth to puppy
- Internet falls in love with trio of Gainesville police officers working during Hurricane Irma