Boat goes up in flames after shop vac used to siphon gas explodes in Highlands Co.

Highlands County Sheriff's Office

HIGHLANDS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A boat caught fire on Wednesday after a shop vac used to siphon gas exploded in Highlands County, deputies said.

“Safety tip: Do not use a shop vac to try to siphon gas. You are basically creating a bomb,” the sheriff’s office wrote on Facebook.

According to deputies, a responding officer and neighbors kept the fire contained until firefighters arrived to put out the blaze.

No further details regarding the incident have been released at this time.

The Highlands County Sheriff’s Office said everyone should be careful about fueling generators, which should be kept outside.

STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON

 

WFLA.com provides commenting to allow for constructive discussion on the stories we cover. In order to comment here, you acknowledge you have read and agreed to our Terms of Service. Commenters who violate these terms, including use of vulgar language or racial slurs, will be banned. Please be respectful of the opinions of others and keep the conversation on topic and civil. If you see an inappropriate comment, please flag it for our moderators to review.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s