SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (WFLA) – The Coast Guard rescued 99 people and 13 pets from the U.S. Virgin Islands after Hurricane Irma on Tuesday.
The Coast Guard Cutter Valiant crew transported 78 adults, 21 children and 13 pets from St. Thomas.
Everyone was taken to a cruise ship and will be transported to Puerto Rico.
“In times like these, we get to see humanity at it its best. Today, our Coast Guard crews, first responders and volunteers came together to help people in most dire need,” said Cmdr. Tim Cronin, commanding officer, cutter Valiant.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON
- Tampa man killed in chainsaw accident following Hurricane Irma
- Bodies of 2 males found near gas pumps in Hillsborough
- 5 patients on ventilators evacuated after backup generator fails at Pasco hospital
- Burglar caught stealing from evacuated home in St. Pete
- Clearwater firefighter loses home to flames while on duty for Hurricane Irma
- Miami Police share photo of Hurricane Irma looters in jail
- LIST: Open gas stations in Tampa Bay area
- Apple expected to unveil new $1,000 iPhone today