SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Two manatees are safe in deeper water after they became stranded in Sarasota.
The manatees were spotted near the Whitfield area and the SRQ airport — an area that is usually filled with water.
But, as Hurricane Irma makes its way up the state of Florida, it has pushed water away from its usual spot.
An FWC official said the organization received multiple reports about the stranded manatees.
Tony Foradini-Campos on Facebook said the FWC south region and Sarasota county were able to come out and help save the manatees.
HURRICANE IRMA COVERAGE –
- The latest on Hurricane Irma from Storm Team 8
- 2017 Hurricane Guide
- Emergency shelters opening across Tampa Bay area ahead of Hurricane Irma
- Hurricane Irma: Check your evacuation level here
- Hurricane Irma causing flight cancellations, airport closures in Tampa Bay area, Florida
- CHECKLIST: Disaster supply list for hurricane
- Where to get sandbags in the Tampa Bay area
- How to get water even if the stores are out
- The one thing you must do for your pet as Irma approaches