TAMPA (WFLA) – The Florida Highway Patrol has closed the Skyway Bridge, and is keeping a close eye on Tampa Bay bridges.
The bridge will likely remain closed until the storm passes and it is deemed safe to travel on.
Troopers will secure the Skyway Bridge, Gandy Bridge and Howard Frankland Bridge when sustained wind speeds hit 40 mph.
Motorists are asked to watch the travel advisories as the other bridges may be subject to closure soon.
Also, Interstate 75 and I-4 are experiencing heavy traffic volume, but traffic is flowing.
For live crash and roadway reports click here.
Additional info can be located by calling 511 or click here.
HURRICANE IRMA COVERAGE –
- The latest on Hurricane Irma from Storm Team 8
- 2017 Hurricane Guide
- Emergency shelters opening across Tampa Bay area ahead of Hurricane Irma
- Hurricane Irma: Check your evacuation level here
- Hurricane Irma causing flight cancellations, airport closures in Tampa Bay area, Florida
- CHECKLIST: Disaster supply list for hurricane
- Where to get sandbags in the Tampa Bay area
- How to get water even if the stores are out
- The one thing you must do for your pet as Irma approaches